Happy New Year!
Well 2017 for me seemed to pass in a complete whirlwind and I got to NYE before I had time to blink. Overall the year was fairly positive, but also one filled with quite a lot of change for me, so for 2018 I’m hoping for something a little more settled and at a slower pace.
I was catching up on the latest news on Stylist and came across the #18for2018 challenge inspired by self-help guru Gretchen Rubin, she’s also the host of the podcast Happier. This got me thinking about my own resolutions and goals for 2018. I don’t really like the term resolutions as they always feel so unachievable and sometimes restrictive, especially when set in January when it’s already a dismal month.
So this year for the first time in a long time I’m setting myself some actual tangible goals which I’m hoping by 31st Dec 2018 I might have achieved some, if not all of them.
I’ve decided that this year I will channel my energy into positivity and things which make me happy rather than worry about comparing myself to others. In a time when social media is going a bit cray cray it’s easy to get sucked in and start comparing myself to others. I had an epiphany last year that made me realise that I’m not quite cut out for the whole ‘girl boss’ persona as much as I’d love to be running multiple businesses, banging out amazing content all the time and generally just bossing at life I don’t think I have it in me. This says more about my own self-belief than anything else.
I will spend less time worrying about the numbers and stats and more time focusing on things that make me smile.
Some of my #18for2018 seem very small fry but I like the feeling of actually ticking things off a list rather than just move them around.
- Reorganise office and complete filing
- Keep tax expenses up to date
- Take a photography course
- Post consistent and quality content to Instagram
- Find a podcast I LOVE and subscribe to it
- Write regular blog content and post twice a week
- Stick to a consistent skincare routine
- Reduce credit card debt
- Read one book a month
- Lose a stone in weight by the time I go to Greece in May
- Exercise regularly even if it’s just a 20minute Body Coach workout at home
- Curb my spending and stop buying pretty things that I don’t need
- Say NO more – decline invites to things I know won’t make me happy or I won’t enjoy
- Visit museums and exhibitions I’m interested in, don’t put it off and then miss out e.g. book tickets to the V&A for the Winnie the Pooh exhibition before it ends on 8th April
- Attend at least four blogger events (obvs this only works if I’m invited!)
- Learn a new language, maybe Spanish?
- Take regular social media breaks and live in the moment more
- Enter and train for a 10k
Bonus extra goal is to set up some shoots with a photograph and actually have myself featuring on this blog and on my Insta grid.
So that’s my #18for2018, some short term and others will take much longer. If anyone has any advice on curbing my spending please let me know! I’m terrible for seeing pretty things and thinking ‘oh I need this’ when I don’t.